The beautiful province of Alberta lies in the west of Canada and has one of the fastest-growing economies in the country. It is popular with immigrants thanks to two large cities – Edmonton and Calgary – and offers three immigration pathways for applicants seeking permanent residence in Alberta.
The Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) offers the following options:
- Alberta Opportunity Stream
- Alberta Express Entry Stream
- Alberta Self-Employed Farmer Stream
Each of the above is aimed at specific classes of applicants. Should the applicant be successful in having the right level of skills and experience for the province and be accepted, they will be issued an Alberta Provincial Nomination Certificate.
Below are the eligibility requirements for each of the three streams:
Alberta Opportunity Stream (AOS)
The AOS is for foreign individuals with work or study experience in Canada and Alberta. To be eligible the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Have current temporary foreign worker status in Canada
- Be considered of value via a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
- Have recognised LMIA exemption credentials
- Meet Canadian Language Benchmark level 4 in English or French across speaking, listening, reading, and writing. This requirement can be up to CLB 7 for certain jobs
- Must have achieved an education certificate equivalent to at least the Canadian high school diploma
- Must meet the work experience requirements which include working full time in Alberta for 12 months within the last 18, or 24 months within the last 30 in Canada or abroad. The experience must be in the skill relevant to the application.
- Must have a full-time job offer to work in Alberta meeting specific requirements
- Must be in a skilled position recognised as of value in Alberta.
Alberta Express Entry Scheme
Applicants recognized as being valuable to Alberta’s economy who have entered a profile in the Express Entry scheme may be awarded a Notification of Interest (NOI) by the province.
This allows them to gain 600 extra points on the Comprehensive Ranking System. Should they be pulled from the Express Entry pool they are then awarded an Invitation to Apply (ITA) and can begin the process of applying.
Alberta may issue an NOI to candidates who meet the following criteria:
- Have a profile in the Express Entry Pool
- Intend to settle permanently in Alberta
- Work in a job that meets with Alberta’s economic development and diversification requirements
- Achieve a minimum score on the CRS of 300.
Those with a valid job offer or work experience in Alberta, or with family in the province are more likely to be accepted.
Alberta Self-Employed Farmer Stream
Candidates must be able to prove they have sufficient farm management skills and experience, plus documentary proof of an existing farm business. Also required are proof of relevant education and experience, a valid business plan, and confirmation that a Canadian financial institution is willing to finance the applicant’s farming business in Alberta.
Proof of net worth of a minimum of $500,000 and the ability to invest that amount in the business is also required, and the Alberta government will prioritize applicants with business proposals considered to have growth prospects in the province.